Thursday, March 22, 2012

My Review of Ringer's 1x18: "That Woman's Never Been A Victim Her Entire Life"

Written by Hank Chilton
Directed by Scott White

Henry (to Siobhan, re Andrew/Bridget): “You’re right – they are in love because it seems without you, your family is tighter than ever.”

Well, it had to happen at some point. Henry would finally say something that would make me think he has something of a brain in there after all and reading Siobhan the riot act was a nice way of making him a bit more endearing than usual.

I liked that Henry seemingly figured out that Andrew was never going to actually have Siobhan killed and also that he was perceptive enough to see how much of a good influence Bridget’s presence has been in Andrew’s life. That, coupled with giving the flash drive to his father in and Henry had a lot going for him in this episode.

On the negative side, despite his concerns with Siobhan’s antics, he still managed to be talked around again with her and we also learned rather hastily that Henry was actually the one responsible for Tyler’s death rather than Olivia. I’m not really sure how I feel about that reveal – I’m neither disappointed nor amazed by it and that can’t be a good sign.

Another negative with Henry was that he stopped Siobhan from finally telling Andrew what she had been up to and while I got why he did that, I think we’re overdue Andrew becoming privy to what’s really be going on over the last few months with him and the woman he’s been sharing a bed with.

Speaking of Bridget, while there’s a part of me that is pleased her and Andrew made things up, I can’t help but think it was rather rushed though. At least Bridget had the sense to ask Andrew about his altercation with Malcolm and Andrew had enough sense to tell her the truth about it too. I believe Andrew when he said that he only paid Malcolm to leave rather than kill him.

As for Malcolm’s whereabouts – I really hope he isn’t dead but given that Victor’s incompetence and Olivia’s sinister antics put Malcolm in danger, I’m not particularly hopeful that he will make it alive. Eventually Bodaway is going to have to make some kind of an impact as a villain and sadly, Malcolm being killed by him may be enough to actually achieve that.

Speaking of Bodaway – I assume the whole fiasco with those fortune teller cards, Remy/May and that dry cleaners that Victor is so interested in are all connected to him, yes? We’re eighteen episodes into this series and Bodaway still needs to make a move by now. Unless he was responsible for the failed hit on Bridget/Siobhan that is.

Last but not least – thank you Juliet for telling Bridget about your horrible scheme with your mother. Now with any luck it can be used to get Catherine out of the show, especially given that she’s beginning to outstay her welcome and also as a viewer, I think it’s a plot we can now wrap in favour of actually concentrating on Bridget and Siobhan finally crossing paths in the next few episodes.

Also in “That Woman’s Never Been A Victim Her Entire Life”

Just like last week, Andrew is the one responsible for uttering the title of the episode.

Victor: “How old are you?”
FBI Agent: “Thirty five.”
Victor: “Yeah, lose my invite to your next birthday party.”

Who was watching Catherine and Juliet before the latter attempted to sneak away and where exactly is Olivia hiding?

Henry: “How did it happen?”
Bridget: “Someone tried to shoot me and Andrew saved me.”
Henry: “Andrew saved you? Who’d want to shoot you?”

Bridget: “Someone is killing to keep your secret Andrew and if it’s not you.”
Andrew: “Olivia’s behind this.”

Are Henry’s kids aware that Siobhan is with their father? I was wondering when Juliet called him and he was talking about someone looking after them.

Andrew (re Olivia): “That woman’s never been a victim her entire life.”
Bridget: “We need to find her.”

Catherine (to Juliet): “We are getting what we always wanted – freedom from those two vampires.”

I’m glad Bridget told Andrew about her attack in the opening episode. At least we now definitely know he wasn’t responsible for it.

Henry: “I want us to be together.”
Siobhan: “I promise I won’t hide anything from you anymore.”

Chronology: From where “What We Have Is Worth The Pain” left off.

I hate to admit it but boredom has set it and I’m losing patience with this show. One or two moments aside, “That Woman’s Never Been A Victim Her Entire Life” is still treading water. Even next week’s episode is looking more like a chore than a joy to watch.

Rating: 6 out of 10

No comments: