Monday, April 09, 2012

Top 40 TV Characters Part 4

I was meant to do this one yesterday but I decided to take a break because it was Easter Sunday but here goes the fourth part of my list ....

21: Emily Fitch (Kathryn Prescott) - Skins


Picking a favourite character from this show was actually quite hard because each generation has had some pretty strong and interesting character but Emily really stood out for me. I'm a twin myself and while my sister never engaged in that 'twinspeak' that Emily and Katie seem so fond of, we do have our own way of communicating with each other. Plus Emily is one of the best written gay female characters out there.

22: Bree Van De Kamp (Marcia Cross) - Desperate Housewives


My favourites with this show always seem to change. For a long time, I liked Lynette, then Edie, have occasionally liked Susan and Gabby, don't mind Renee but if the last season seems to be anything, it's Bree who I seem to like the most. The woman's repression and need for orderliness might border on the sociopathic but damn, she has managed to fascinate at every turn for the last eight seasons.

23: Sayid Jarrah (Naveen Andrews) - Lost


At least one male character had to make it into this pretty female centric list of favourites and Sayid to me, was the bestest character we had on Lost. Probably because unlike either Jack or Locke, I would actually trust Sayid with my life and he was a better team player/leader than most of the characters on the show too. I think he's one of the main reasons I miss that show from time to time. Along with Juliet, Sun, Jin, etc.

24: Carrie Mathison (Claire Danes) - Homeland


This show is still a newbie but in terms of career changing roles, I think Claire Danes has to be aware of how playing a character as broadly written and layered as Carrie can change people's perceptions of you. Carrie is definitely another fascinating character as her determination to uncover Brody's true agenda for the last 12 episodes has made for a good watch. I hope the writers can keep up the god work with her in the upcoming second season.

25: Sofie Bojakshiya (Clea Duvall) - Carnivale


Oh, Sofie. Even I was shocked by the end of the second season when it was revealed that she was part of the Omega plotline but as a character, for the two seasons the show ran for, she was easily the most sympathetic and engaging character of the bunch. Considering the abundance of wonderful and crazy characters we had, that was no mean feat.

Part 5 should be up around Thursday/Friday.

2 comments:

E. said...

Your posts are very interesting! Well, I would go for Lynette and Gabrielle from DH. As for Lost, I'd have to say my favorite was Sawyer because I always thought he was very funny. I'm surprised at how much I didn't like Homeland because I keep reading good reviews! I'd love to hear your opinion on Nurse Jackie.

shawnlunn2002 said...

I've seen bits and pieces of Nurse Jackie. I do like it but I need to catch up with it at some point.