Friday, May 04, 2012

Honourable Mentions Part 2

And here's the second and final part of my Honourable Mentions lists.

Piper Halliwell (Holly Marie Combs) - Charmed


Yeah, this was one of my guilty pleasure shows. There were times when I found Charmed extremely naff beyond belief but for eight seasons, even in all of it's naffness, it had some wonderful moments and the excellent, level-headed Piper was easily the best of the Halliwell sisters and the one who seemed to show the most growth as well as the show progressed.

Max Blum (Adam Pally) - Happy Endings


It's been one of these shows I've been watching on E4 and damn it, it's a bloody funny one. Max certainly seems to fall into my favourite type of gay character on TV - snarky, well rounded and a good mate all around and Adam Pally's performances have certainly gotten better over the two seasons of the popular ABC comedy.

Sarah Lund (Sofie Grabol) - The Killing


Is it a cliche to feature Sarah on my list? I know I don't talk about The Killing a lot but I have seen a fair amount of it and Sarah Lund is definitely one of the better and more original compared to the majority of our leading cops and way better than her American counterpart as well, though interestingly enough Grabol recently did pop up in the US version of the show that's made her a household name.

Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) - The X Files


Sometimes being the sceptic is actually better than being the believer. I loved Mulder as a character but between him and Scully, the fiery sceptic certainly edges him out though. Scully also seemed to work reasonably enough with Mulder at times and even with Doggett and Reyes too and she's a more deserving iconic female character than the Carrie Bradshaws of the world.

Karen Walker (Megan Mullally) - Will & Grace


In an ideal world, no-one would really want an employer, spouse or mate like Karen Walker, a woman who literally insults all and sundry without batting an eyelid with a helium sounding voice. That being said, she was a relentlessly entertaining character nonetheless and for that, I'll salute the madwoman. 

Well, that was fun. Any other characters anyone thinks I should've recommended?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you noticed that women with strong or iconoclastic personalities tend to get called "madwomen" more often than their male counterparts are called "madmen"?

shawnlunn2002 said...

Sometimes, yeah it's noticeable. I hope you don't think I was being negative by using the word myself to describe Karen. I do love the character, hence her being on the list.

Anonymous said...

Oh no. I was just thinking about it.