Saturday, August 18, 2012

I Believe In Fairytales

Well, as long as they're interesting ones at the very least but enough of that and here's a look at some of the stuff I've been watching recently.


2 Broke Girls: I'm still enjoying this show as much as I can but I have to admit the racial stereotyping is really beginning to bother me in a big way. It's almost enough that Oleg, Han and Earl have all seemed to stop developing as character but the arrival of Jennifer Coolidge's Sophie, the Polish cleaner in the last few episodes and even the episode where Max and Caroline had to hand over Kosher cupcakes to a Jewish family - well, writers, you need to stop it. Be creative and lay off the lazy stereotyping already.


Once Upon A Time: I know I left this one a bit too late (blame my lack of Channel 5) and catching up will be interesting but having watched the first two episodes - I love this show. Unlike Grimm, this really embraces the fairytale aspects beautifully and the whole series of alliances and rivalries in both fairytale land and Storybrooke are fun to watch. No wonder this has been a success for ABC and with characters like Emma, Sheriff Graham, Regina/Evil Queen and Mr Gold/Rumpelstilskin as well as Henry, I think I'm already addicted to this wonderful gem of a series.


Sinbad: This show is fine at best but it still needs some more work. The writers really need to stop using both Taryn and Akbari in every episode, especially when their scenes aren't actually adding anything to the plot and too many monsters/baddies of the week will make the show too formulaic as well too. On the plus side, at least characters like Nalla, Rina and Gunnar have had moments to shine and the Cook still manages to give me the creeps while still being an intriguing so and so. Sinbad himself does need a bit more development but with the recent threat of his grandmother in danger, I'm sure we'll get that now.


The Newsroom: Simply put - I tried, I didn't like it. The cast is great but I've never been an Aaron Sorkin fan and his writing can often be long winded and OTT and in this show, it seems both of those excesses are tested to the max here. The cast are great but I can't stick with this programme and no, Jane Fonda isn't going to make me sit through any more episodes. Just not my thing, I'm afraid.


White Collar: Fun bunch of episodes recently and it's nice that Neal's love life isn't too dominant at times but more importantly, it was also nice that Diane got some centre stage time too on the show, even if the end results did cost her her love life too. Overall, I have been enjoying the show's fourth year. It's been fun and diverting and with this series, Matt Bomer does seem to be in his element as the loveable Caffrey.


- American Horror Story's second season has the title of Asylum and Jessica Lange's character will be called Sister Jude.
- Whoopi Goldberg will be reprising her role on Glee in an upcoming episode and there will be some core relationships that will come to an end this year.
- Dallas's second season will air on TNT from January 2013. The show's first year will premiere on UK/Irish television from September.
- David Alpay will play a charismatic character named Shane in the upcoming season of The Vampire Diaries.
- Julian Morris has been cast as Prince Philip and Colin O'Donoghue has been cast as Captain Hook for the second season of Once Upon A Time.
- Ciaran Hinds has joined the third season of Game Of Thrones as Mance Rayder as had Iwan Rheon and Burn Gorman.
- Tina Majorino will be guest starring in Grey's Anatomy while Eric Dane will be leaving the series in the first two episodes of it's ninth year.
- Revenge will return with a new Satoshi, this time played by  Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa. JR Bourne will also play a Hamptons resident named Kenny and Michael Nardelli will play a preppy character named Trey.
- ABC will be remaking Sky1 series, Spy.
- Sean Hayes will be appearing in the second season of NBC drama, Smash, playing a TV and movie star named Terrence Falls.

No comments: