Tuesday, March 10, 2015

My Review of Revenge's 4x15: "Bait"


Written by Shannon Goss
Directed by Ty Trullinger

Emily: "Word of advice, if you're gonna keep coming at me, you're gonna have to be a hell of a lot smarter."
Margaux: "You think you're invincible?"
Emily: "Not invincible, just better."

Now this was a fun episode. Revenge has always worked well with it's female rivalries and while the days of Emily and Victoria are no longer a thing, both ladies at least have other adversaries they can try to take down with varying degrees of relish.

First of all, Emily vs. Margaux. I've always actually liked Margaux enough as a character but as an antagonist, she is both lacking something and isn't half as clever as she wants to think she is. Granted, she's no Ashley either but this episode almost made it too easy for Emily to constantly best her that the last scene with Ben at a disadvantage (looks like we're meeting his ex-wife soon) actually came as a surprise.

Until then it was amusing to see a simple bracelet become the very thing used to corrupt Margaux's computer system and Emily revelling in being the smarter of the two was amusing as well. Of course, Emily does have a weak spot - he's called Jack but by keeping him at arm's length, she managed to remove one ace from Margaux's short sleeve though.

Personally though, I wish the show would give up on this rivalry. Margaux simply isn't justified in her revenge against Emily and she simply doesn't work as an antagonist. The sooner she actually takes Victoria's advice and moves on with her life, the better for her and for us as viewers as well.

Speaking of Victoria - I love the rivalry with her and Natalie. I don't know if Natalie is a slightly nicer or potentially nastier version of Victoria but I do love that she was Conrad's stepmother and the fighting over Edward's will between the ladies is actually a lot more fun than I expected it to be. A part of me is surprised they didn't connect Natalie with the Malcolm Black storyline but it looks like everyone's forgotten that was ever a thing to begin with.

Victoria's teaming up with Lymon as well was another surprise twist I liked in this storyline. Lymon's determination to revive his flagging political career and Victoria wanting more than two incontinent Corgis out of her father in law's will was a good enough incentive for the pair of them to join forces. I'm not sure if there's enough story here to get us to the finale but it's a lot of fun nonetheless though.

A little less fun was Emily rejecting Jack though. On one hand, I get that she's trying not to give Margaux any further ammunition but on the other hand, I just don't see her and Ben as an endgame couple. However I don't doubt by the finale (if not an episode or two before then) that Jack and Emily will finally get it on though.

Also in "Bait"

Natalie was Edward's nurse and divorced her previous husband to quickly marry him. I'm guessing she might be the Annie Wilkes of the Hamptons then.

Ben: "So what is Jack Porter doing next?"
Jack: "Something I should've done a long time ago."

If Jack's idea of doing something spontaneous is making a grilled cheese sandwich - well, that's just a bit weak, isn't it?

Victoria: "You were Edward's wife? That was your secret?"
Natalie: "Gotta admit, it was a good one."

I liked Louise being included in the whole screwing Margaux over plot this week. I still don't want her and Nolan actually sleeping together but I do like their rapport.

Victoria: "I need a lawyer, not an opportunist."
Lymon: "Well, it's a good thing for you, I'm both."

Nolan (re Emily): "We're sort of like superheroes."
Louise: "Well I thought we were like the Wonder Twins."

Nolan describing him and Emily's dynamic like that cracked me up. Oh and it looks like we might be having a David/Natalie pairing as well to rile Victoria up in later episodes.

Natalie (re Edward): "I loved him."
Victoria: "What exactly did you love most? The fact that he was worth millions or was on death's doorstep? I think it was both."

Standout music: Broods "Never Gonna Change" at the start of the episode.

Jack: "It's always been you. From the moment Sammy ran out to you that day."
Emily: "I don't know what to say, things between us Jack are messy."

Chronology: More or less from where "Kindred" left off.

I liked this episode. "Bait" wasn't big or too eventful but it kept things ticking along nicely and while Emily's rejection of Jack was more frustrating than heartbreaking, fans of that particular are more than likely going to get their happy ending anyways. Still not sure where else this show can go once this season wraps up properly.

Rating: 8 out of 10

No comments: